"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Monday, May 31, 2010

Fishing Is Not About Fishing

I love to fish. I didn't grow up fishing. I didn't learn how until I married. I got frustrated when I first tried - there really was a lot of stuff to learn. I think Charlie has fished since he could hold a pole in his hand.

I am not sure how he has survived teaching and coaching me. I am not always a good student and my attitude is not always good either. You see - I like to catch fish but I don't catch a lot of fish for whatever reason when we go. I make up all kinds of excuses as to why I can't catch them. Like - when I have to fish out of the back of the boat, I am always telling him that I am having to fish in his trash. Those of you who fish probably understand what I am talking about. He has been known to turn the boat around and troll so that I will be in the front (such a sweet guy) - and I still don't catch fish. Or my excuse is there is something wrong with my reel or I don't have the same color worm on my line as he does or . . . you get the point. I know you are thinking why does he put up with me. But he does - bless his heart.

Now the point of all this story is that fishing is not about fishing. It is about the adventure. It is about the things that happen while you are fishing. Today was a perfect example. We decided at the spur of the moment this morning to go the family pond and fish. It was a beautiful morning.  We were going to pull the boat over to the pond with our golf cart. Great idea. About half way there we had some mechanical problems and Charlie had to walk back to the house and get the truck so we could get the boat to the pond.

That didn't dampen our spirits. We got to the pond. Got in the water and he put a new top water plug on my rod. He cast it to make sure it was good to go and handed it over to me with a few instructions on how to use it. I was so excited. I took it, pulled it back over my head, gave it a good cast AND rod, reel and plug went straight into the water. I am laughing again as I picture it in my head. It really is the first time I ever did that. I looked back at him and his expression was priceless. I laid down on the bow of the boat laughing and then began pulling the rod and reel in. Thankfully it was in shallow water so I could reach it.

As I said it's not about the fishing but the stories you get to tell later. I actually caught a nice bass later on the rod and reel but that wasn't nearly as exciting as casting the rod and reel into the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment