"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Cheese Straws and Daddy

I love cheese straws and I love my Daddy and I love my Daddy even more when he makes cheese straws.

We all have special things that we like to do or we have special things that we are good at. My daddy has lots of things that he does well but right up there near the very top of the list is his cheese straws. There are two times of the year that he makes these - if there is a beach trip scheduled, we can count on daddy to bring cheese straws for one of our snacks AND it is his call to fame at Christmas. Most people are busy making sweet stuff but Daddy does his cheese straws and they are well worth the wait.

On my last visit with him he had made some - and no we were not about to go to the beach and no it wasn't time to start baking for Christmas. It was a pleasant surprise. He always talks about what an ordeal it is to get everything together and mix them up and cook them. I really have never been with him during the procedure, I just enjoy the fruit of his labor.

As I got ready to leave I asked him for his recipe and borrowed one of his Super Shooter Electric Food Guns to use. Now, to the point of my story. Today I decided I would make cheese straws. No big deal, right? Well, I am here to tell you that I have decided that my Daddy is being way to generous with his cheese straws. They are a precious commodity.  After squishing all the cheese together and adding the other ingredients and then trying to figure out how to use the Super Shooter Electric Food Gun I was worn out before they ever got in the oven.

Now my master taster, that would be Charlie, said they were good. And in the end all the work was worth the result. But I called my Daddy and told him that I totally understood now why it is a big deal to make cheese straws and that I had much more appreciation for them when I eat them now. And I know that he must really love us to make them. Thank you Daddy!


My Cheese Straws :-)




1 comment:

  1. They were very good and you are as talented as your daddy in making cheese straws.

    ReplyDelete