"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Friday, December 10, 2010

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree

We recently visited my family and were able to help in the "trimming of the tree" at my daddy's house. It is rare that I am able to be there when my brother and sister go over to daddy's to decorate his tree. So again I have received another early Christmas blessing by being there with my family and participating. My brother and husband put the lights on as my sister and I put some yummy supper on the table - good ole KFC, daddy's potato salad and green bean casserole and a special lemon pie my sister made for dessert. Yum, Yum!

After supper the decorating of the tree began - such sweet and funny memories were exchanged as we placed ornaments on the tree. This will be our fifth Christmas without our mother and that in itself seems hard to believe but she was very much present as we deocrated.

You see, Mama loved to make Christmas decorations. In the 70's she made decorations from styrofoam balls and added all sorts of beads and baubles and ribbon to them. She not only made them for her tree but each one of us would get some too. I still have several of those that I decorate our tree with. She then started making porcelain ornaments. Most of the time she did not paint them but left them with a white glaze and occasionally a little splash of gold or silver color. They are beautiful and elegant and we each have many of her pieces of "art". Mama loved Christmas - and she loved decorating for Christmas!

I am so thankful for the memories and so thankful for the gift she gave me - her love of Christmas - her love of giving and sharing.




I know she is smiling and thinking this is the prettiest tree yet. She always thought that about each tree. I agree too Mama.

Merry Christmas to each of you reading and make sure that you take time to make special memories with your loved ones this year!

1 comment:

  1. I always save Granny's ornaments til last when I decorate my tree. I like to put them next to the lights so that they sparkle and shine. Anna helped me this year and I told her that only mama could put on that box of decorations because they were very special and I had to be very careful with them when I put them on. She ooooed and ahhhhed over all of them.

    ReplyDelete