"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dipping from The Loving Well

I just finished doing a study on Loving Well by Beth Moore with a wonderful group of women who actually do that well - at least they are loving me well.

As I reflect on what I learned: my original thoughts were focused on how I love: How I love the easy to love in my life, how I love the testy, aggravating people in my life, how I love my enemy and how I love the stranger that passes through my life.

For those that are difficult to love I do not need to be a critical spirit because I do not know what the other person is going through or has gone through that may make them the "testy" in my life. I guess for some it almost seems their nature and for some it is just a circumstance that has presented itself in their life - it may be temporary and it may have turned into a long term battle. We have all heard the expression "Don't judge a man until you walked a mile in his shoes."

I have to remember that at the same time I may be calling someone testy that I may be the testy person to them.

Of course I learned that it's not how I love them at all but how God loves them through me.

AND then the revelation hit me during the last session: He is the Loving Well. I go to Him and drop the bucket down into the well, bringing it (LOVE) up, overflowing sloshing everywhere and I pour it out on all those around me - the joyful, the testy, the foe, the far. My grandmother had a well on her back porch. I was so very young and can barely remember using it but I thought it was the neatest thing to go on the back porch and take the rope and let it drop to the bottom and then pull it up. Of course, I was only doing it for fun so I didn't care that I splashed it everywhere as I brought it up.

Going to God's Loving Well is important because we always need a fresh supply of His water, His love - splashing it all over us and then in turn splashing it all over everybody else. We dip down in the well and we pour it out on others. Then you know what happens - you have to go back to get more. That's what He wants from us - for us to come to the Loving well, dipping down and pouring it out, dipping down and pouring it out, dipping down and pouring out.

Join me in dipping and pouring~

1 comment: