"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Just Thinking

I try to be upbeat and positive especially when I am writing knowing that someone else is going to read it and may find some encouragement in what I have to write. Do you remember your diary from your high school years? It was a place to pour out the good, the bad and the ugly. I guess it was a venting sort of thing. But one thing was for sure: I did NOT want anyone else to read it. But there it was on paper and there was always that possibility that someone could get to it.

I believe I have matured and have grown as a woman of God. I have tried very hard to be careful of the words I write and say. Once the words leave my mouth they are out there. I can't take it back. I can apologize but the words are there.  I feel the same way about writing - once it is out there - it is out there.

This is what the bible says about God's word "So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;  It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it." Isaiah 55:11

My word may go forth and it may accomplish what I please but is it pleasing to God. Does it prosper him? I am reminded of a childhood song "Oh be careful little tongue what you say, Oh be careful little tongue what you say, for the Father up above is looking down in love, Oh be careful little tongue what you say."

And then we have that old saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." Yeah, right. Words have been some of the most hurtful things in my life - those that I have said and those that were said to me. I remember a very basic thing my Mama and Daddy taught me: Think before you speak. Believe me, that is hard.

Think about what you are thinking about before you put it into words.

My reference point for speaking should be: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Think about that.

1 comment: