"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Celebration of Love

On June 17 Charlie and I celebrated 39 years of marriage. We decided to drive to Tallahassee and have lunch at Olive Garden. It was a special day and we periodically reflected on what was happening 39 years ago - what we were doing at different times of the day and special memories of crazy things that happened: like me forgetting to bring my "hang up" clothes on our honeymoon - that was interesting :-) We love to tell stories of how we met, our first date, how he proposed and of course it would not be fun telling them unless we did a lot of exaggerating!

Thirty-nine years seems like a long time but for some reason it doesn't feel like a long time at all. Charlie is my adventurer and he has taken me places and encouraged me to do things I don't think I would have ever done. We have been to Mexico on mission trips, traveled to London to be with our girls when they were doing some studying over there, traveled to Northern Ireland to visit friends he met on the internet (another story for another day), our trip last summer to Alaska, a 10 day ride on the back of his Harley - you get the picture.

It has been fun and challenging! There have been good times and bad. The good have definitely outweighed the bad. We have experienced "in sickness and health". I do not know what I would have done without him during some of the "in sickness".

I was a city girl and he brought me to the country. He has taught me how to fish and how to shoot a gun (still can't hit the broad side of a barn but I do pretty good with the fishing). I have bailed hay, picked peas, and shucked corn.

We have both grown in the Lord and he has become my source of spiritual wisdom.

He is my best friend. And I am definitely better for having met him, married him and loved him!

No comments:

Post a Comment