"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Sunday, April 7, 2013

What Condition is your Condition In?

Have you ever thought about the words you say or the words you "think" ( those count too)?

As I was driving home from church, the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said: "It's not the words you sing, but the condition of your heart when you sing them." If you think about that, it is oh so true. The condition of your heart dictates the majority of how you receive or speak words and how your mind processes those words and/or thoughts. For those of you who grew up in the late 1960s, you may remember when Kenny Rogers & The First Edition recorded the song Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) - that was way before he became known as a country singer. The lyrics are kind of weird but if you think about it, we have to check in on ourselves along and along to see where we are. It is like a self-examination.

Negative thoughts and words bring about death. Positive thoughts and words bring about life.

I hear enough on TV to depress me. I like to hear words of encouragement and hope. I try really hard to speak that language - the language of hope. I read a book quite a while back - Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and Be Happy by Barbara Johnson. One of the points she made in her writing was "What goes down in the well, comes up in the bucket."

Our heart is our "bucket". What comes in through our ears and eyes is processed through our mind. Some of those thoughts may just fly right on out and others may nest. They end up nesting in our heart - maybe deep down in our heart. And we never know when those thoughts or words might "hatch" or "give birth". I am not saying that all nesting is bad. I believe my heart has nested quite a few positive and motivating thoughts and words. But what is in our heart is the condition that our condition is in and that is what we draw from. Does any of that make sense?


I have to be very careful that my critical spirit does not override the positive in me.

I want to hear and speak words of life. I want to sing with a joyful heart!

So - I am doing a "condition" check on my condition. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment