"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Everybody has a Crazy Mary

I have been reading Max Lucado's A Love Worth Giving which is based on 1 Corinthinians 13. Most of us think of it as the love chapter because we are given some very specific adjectives for the word love. Reread it if you have time. Each of the descriptions of love are woven together to give us a picture of love and if you look closely the picture is that of God. Since each one of us is different I know that your picture of God is not exactly the same as mine but I imagine there are lots of similarities.

You know how God is - He puts things in front of you that remind you of things that have happened in your life to remind you how you should react NOW if that were to happen again. In other words, did I learn anything from what happened last time. I will confess upfront that I am a slow learner when it comes to the things that God would have me do.

Everybody has a "Meeting Henry" story whether we want to admit it or not. I read a devotion by Holly Good at Proverbs 31 Ministries. Here is the link http://devotions.proverbs31.org/2011/04/meeting-henry.html.  It is well worth your time to read and will probably help you understand where my thoughts are going.

My "Meeting Henry" story is about a lady I met in Mexico about 15 years ago that the locals called Crazy Mary. She would always come to church when she knew Americans were going to be there. She came and sat down next to me in the service. I didn't know anything about Mary at the time. As the service progressed she put her arm around my shoulder. My husband was sitting on the other side of me and I looked at him as to ask what should I do, he just smiled. Later she reached over and took my hand in hers and would rub it ever so gently. Finally she laid her head on my shoulder. At the time I was very, very uncomfortable. She stayed like that until the service was over. I have to be honest. I was ready to leave and leave quickly when the service ended so I did not tarry. The locals seemed to think that she thought she might get something from me - money, food.

But my sweet husband shared with me that God had come to me as Crazy Mary and just wanted to love on me a while. I have tried to be more sensitive to those who do not receive love and have a unique way of begging for attention. I confess that I still do not love the way God does - unconditionally. I am trying but I have to be reminded through stories like Meeting Henry and my Crazy Mary. I know there are people in your life that are annoying - maybe you have a Crazy Mary or a Henry. They are in your life for a reason: to be loved by God through you.

Who is your Crazy Mary today?

No comments:

Post a Comment