"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Scraps

How many of you save "stuff" because you never know when you might be able to use it or part of it again? I imagine a lot of you reading this will have to say Yes!

I was making a card this afternoon and needed a very narrow piece of ribbon to finish my project. I rambled through some ribbon I have purchased and remembered that I have a box of ribbons and asundry items that my Mama used when she was working on some of her craft projects.

My mama loved to sew. When she first started sewing, it was pretty much from necessity. It was cheaper for her to make our clothes than to buy them and because she did like to sew she didn't consider the cost of her labor. Many evenings my sister and I would wash and dry the dishes after supper so Mama could get to her sewing machine and finish something she had cut out during the weekend.

I was one blessed girl. She sewed for me and my sister right on up until we married and then some. She made both of our wedding dresses. Now, you gotta love to sew to do that. I did some sewing when my girls were in elementary school but I didn't have the passion for it that my Mama did.

One thing she did was to save her scraps - scrap material, thread, buttons - you name it and she kept it because she never knew when she would need it for another project.

My Mama's love for creating things continued but turned more to making porcelain dolls and yes she dressed them too! You see some of those scraps came in handy.

When my Mama passed away five years ago, I brought home some of her scraps along and along. So I have my little stash of stuff that I am using as I create some of my cards. As I rambled through this little tin can of scrap ribbons, it brought back such special memories of her.

We might think hanging on to scraps may be a lot of clutter and sometimes it is. But sometimes it's just pure joy to find what you need among scraps. I found sweet memory scraps of my Mama hidden away in the most unusual place - a tin can on my card table. Thank you Mama - it was the perfect color and size.

No comments:

Post a Comment