"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Busy As A Bee

Have any of you ever really watched bees? It is not my number one choice of entertainment. Specifically, have you ever watched carpenter bees? They get their names because they use wood bits to form partitions between the cells in the nest. A few species bore holes in wood dwellings.

We have a swarm of carpenter bees at our house. The male bee is harmless because he does not have a stinger. And did I mention they are huge which makes them even more intimidating stinger or not! However, that does not make me anymore comfortable when I hear them. And that is the point. They make the loudest noise when they are buzzing around. They are forever busy - buzzing and flying around. I know they are around but I don't always see a lot of results from their activity.

I have to ask myself am I like that - buzzing and flying around and no fruit from the labor. Would my friends be more likley to describe me as a Martha or a Mary? Now don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with being busy as long as I am productive. But to be honest, sometimes I am just busy being busy - you know what I mean? Lots of actions and no results. There is an old expression: "Don't just stand there, do something." Well, if the truth is known sometimes we just need to just stand there and do nothing!

I have been studying some of the Psalms in a book written by Lisa Harper, A Perfect Mess. Yesterday's Psalm is probably one of the most memorized - Psalm 23. Truly one of my favorites because it sums up completely how I am to live.

In the busyness of my world, if I do not rest in the Lord then I will be of no good to Him or anyone else. The scripture says: "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters." (Psalm 23:2) You know sometimes He just has to do that - "make" me lie down. The making part is the part I don't like because that usually means I have come to the end of myself and I am feeling pretty hopeless. But when I am lying down then I am looking up - to Him. When my body is weary, I am not good for anything or anybody. That's why I need to rest and by the way so does my spirit.

I encourage you after you read this to read Psalm 23. Go find your own green pasture and spend some time with Him - listening to Him speak to you through the stillness around you so that He can restore your soul. Hang out with Him for a while and your cup will run over!

Psalm 23
1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment