"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Timing is of Essence

Charlie and I recently took off for a few days and went to West Point Lake in LaGrange, Georgia with my sister Tena and her husband James. They have fished at West Point for years and know their way around the lake pretty well. We discovered that West Point Lake is huge and it is certainly to your advantage to have someone with you who knows their way around.

I can't say that it was the best fishing weather. But I can say that being on the lake is better than most any day you might spend in the office or in traffic! AND what special memories we have of being together.

When all is said and done it usually not about how many fish you catch but about the stories you get to tell. Now most people will be telling stories about the big one that got away but I can say that my story is much more interesting than that.

Like - missing docks and stop signs. Now I have got to say I admire my sister's ability to maneuver a boat around the lake. She can back that thing off the trailer and put it on the trailer, pull it up to the dock and James gets in and/or out depending on whether they are coming or going. AND she is maneuvering it with a stick shift. Amazing! I know I can't do that. However, there are moments when all things do not go as planned. It's what makes life fun, makes us laugh and gives us great stories to tell that we can really embellish.

Okay, I will get to the point. Unfortunately I did not get to witness this but this is the story as told by Tena and James. She is pulling the boat up to the dock for James to step out of the boat and go get the truck to back the trailer in. Timing is of essence. As James is about to step out of the boat onto the dock she puts the boat in reverse to start backing away which is standard operating procedure for them but unfortunately James foot is not on the dock yet. Yep, you got it! Ploop - down in the water he goes. I am trying to picture this - the look on his face, the look on her face! No one was hurt. He is wet from the waist down - and after all is said and done and all are safely on land - what a story to tell! We got a lot of laughs as the story was retold and exaggerated each time. 


As I said, even a bad day on the lake is a better than any day at work!

James and Tena

More to come :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment