"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hanging on to Hope

Ever had a bad day? There is a children's book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst that I used as motivation for my students. I taught high school for 29 years. And if there is ever a group of people who need motivation and hope it is high school students. The story starts out with Alexander having a bad morning with gum in his hair, then a bad school day, followed by a bad shopping experience (now ladies we can really relate to a bad shopping day) - you name it and it was bad. He kept saying he wanted to move to Australia after each experience. You know the feeling. Get me out of this mess. Just take me anywhere but HERE!

Life is filled with disappointments and hurts. When these occur we tend to reflect on the "good ole days" and wish we could go back to those days. But if the truth were told there were hurts in the good ole days. It's just that compared to what's going on now those hurts didn't seem so bad.

Because of your terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days you have a faith story. You are here now because you are hanging on to hope even when life is hard. Psalm 42 is a song of lament. It expresses sorrow and remembrance. The writer is having a pity party. Ever had one of those? Well, the best thing you can do is admit you are having one and pour out all that messy stuff instead of keeping it all in. Tell God where and why it hurts. Do what you have to do to get it out - cry, scream, shout but get it out - don't keep it in - and He will draw close to you. Then hang on to the HOPE we have in Him.

What a faith story you will have to tell! I would love to hear yours.

Let's hang on to our HOPE rope!
Psalm 42
1 As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?
3 My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me all day long, “Where is your God?”
4 These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go to the house of God under the protection of the Mighty One with shouts of joy and praise among the festive throng.
5 Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.
6 My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon—from Mount Mizar.
7 Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me.
8 By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me— a prayer to the God of my life.
9 I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?”
10 My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, “Where is your God?”
11 Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment