"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Monday, November 30, 2009

Checking my list

It is a little sad that we have two very important celebrations within one month of each other. Thanksgiving and Christmas have always been very important to me. When I was growing up, Thanksgiving was all about the food and family. As a child Christmas was all about food, family and Santa. It was much later before I could truly appreciate what these celebrations really mean.

As I reflect on this Thanksgiving, we were blessed to have Kelly and her family with us and we sure missed our Dana who is in California. Our "tradition" is to celebrate Thanksgiving Day and dinner with Charlie's family. After the initial dilema about "the ham", if you read an earlier post, it was a wonderful day. I totally decided to "chill out" and enjoy the fellowship. We had a total of 18 here. No one seemed to be in a rush after the meal. We had had several cold, rainy days but on Thanksgiving the sun came out and the kids were able to be outside for part of the day. The "adults" just sat around and talked. It was a good day. We even took time to roast marshmallows over a fire pit. We have not done that in FOREVER. We have lost family members over the years as age and sickness has taken some away, but there is still a strong bond among Charlie's family and I like that. I am very glad they feel comfortable coming to our home.

Once the Thanksgiving Day was over, it became all about Christmas. We checked Thanksgiving off our list, we had said our thanks, so let's move on and get this Christmas thing done. I guess, that is where I struggle. We make it way too hard - Christmas that is. We rushed to put up the tree and now I sit looking at all the Christmas stuff to decorate with. Don't get me wrong, I am one of those who truly LOVES Christmas. I have decided this year to go slow. I plan to savor each and every moment as God would have me do. Our Christmas will be an extended one this year. The Christmas tradition is to spend Christmas Eve at home and go to my Dad's on Christmas day and be with my side of the family. We will still do that. Dana will fly in close to Christmas and be with us through New Years and we are hoping Kelly and her family will come in New Years weekend. Everybody else will have taken down their tree and checked Christmas off their list. But not us. Yes, my tree will be up New Years Day and we will celebrate again the birth of Christ and what it means to us. I have not checked Him off my Christmas "to do" list. I am thankful that He has not checked me off His list and that He is not keeping "score" with NAUGHTY OR NICE.

Have fun with Christmas this year. Slow down and enjoy it. I plan on doing that. Don't make it hard. It was meant to be a celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment