"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mirror Talk

Do you ever talk to yourself in the mirror? I know some people do. I rarely vocalize what I am thinking when I look in the mirror but my mind is talking.

This morning as I was getting dressed I had some thoughts about what we think we look like and how we think others think we look.  Did that make sense? I was also thinking about how people love.

For some people it is really easy to love and be loved. Others may find it easy to love but do not handle people loving them. Then we have those that find it hard to love and be loved. I do not pretend to be an expert on any of this. But here are some of my thoughts.

I have to love myself before I can love others or be loved by others. How can I love myself? I am reminded of 1 John 4:10-11 "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another." I can love myself because He loved me first.

Some people are hiding from love. They want to be a part of a group or a church but they put themselves in places where they're not really seen so it's hard to get to them to love them. In some cases it is not intentional but for others it is. They do not want to be touchable or reachable.

They may feel that they are not worthy of love. They may feel they are not beautiful. For some strange reason we always associate beauty with being loved.  Why? Is that what we are saying to ourselves when we look in the mirror? I'm not pretty or handsome enough to be loved .

As I was listening to K-Love this morning they were talking about being beautiful. People were calling in to share how they had been made to feel beautiful even when they felt they were not physically beautiful. One caller's story really stayed with me. Without going into a lot of detail, she said that God told her this: "You are beautiful! You take my breath away!"

Isn't that precious? Now the next time you are having your mirror talk remember that and hear God telling you: YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! YOU TAKE MY BREATH AWAY!

I love that: YOU TAKE MY BREATH AWAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment