"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Quick Fix

Your child is hurt. A dear friend is struggling. No peace at work. A spiritual desert in the heart. I see it. What do I do? My nature is to want to fix it. When? Right Now! Quickly!

The question is how do I fix it? I am not usually a patient person so I want a quick fix. What I have learned is that a quick fix does not get to the root of the problem. It is like putting a bandage on a wound that needs stitches. It may stop the bleeding until you get to the hospital but it is not going to bring healing.

It is like Esther wanting to give Mordecai new clothes to put on to replace the sackcloth. She thought that would fix the crisis. But the crisis ran much deeper than appearances.

Sometimes I had rather fix it than hear it. Why? Selfishness. I don't feel competent. I also am doing them an injustice to fix it. Growth occurs through struggles. I am not saying that I should walk away. What does a crisis situation require? Sharing in their pain, their hurt. Listening, Loving - so that we might spread our wings and soar together to new heights.

That's not a fix - that's healing!

No comments:

Post a Comment