"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Monday, April 5, 2010

Return to Me

Return to me - For my heart wants you only - Hurry home, hurry home - Won't you, please, hurry home to my heart?

Even though these lyrics are to a song that Dean Martin sang, they ring so true to the scripture from Joel 2:12 "Return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning."

In our bible study Esther: It's Tough Being A Woman, I could easily relate to being caught up in the world and all that goes on and lose my identity. So did the Jews who had decided to stay in Persia even after Cyrus ended their Babylonian captivity. They were comfortable. Too comfortable.

If I am not careful the same can happen to me. I don't even know I am in a boiling pot because the heat has been turned up slowly - so slowly that I adjust to the gradual increase. I read something this morning that said "If Satan came to you in a little red suit with a pitchfork and announced himself as the devil, you would not believe a word he said. But he is cunning and disguises himself as an angel of light". (2 Corinthians 11:14)

Complacency is not obvious. It will cause me to not be watchful. And that my friend is dangerous.

"Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love and he relents from sending calamity." Joel 2:13

No comments:

Post a Comment