"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Friday, March 12, 2010

Babbling

Those of you who know me know that I love to talk. It wouldn't be too hard to figure that out either once we have met. And maybe I take too long to tell a story. Charlie has recently referred to that part of my conversation as "babbling". So, I try very hard to be more conscious of that - the babbling. He has these little looks that he gives me that I have learned means: Get To The Point!  So I really try. By the way, I am totally cool with that.

So, let me get to the point. Witnessing. I am reading the books of Acts now and today I was reminded that we have been given a command by Jesus to "go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." That's what Peter and John were doing in Chapter 3. That is an overwhelming task. I have had people share with me that they are not great at sharing their faith. I think that is pretty much what the disciples were feeling at the time.

But Jesus reminded his disciples of the time they had spent together the last three years. He also reminded them He had complete authority in heaven and earth so He was completely in charge. He didn't tell them that they had to go memorize scripture in order to do this. He told them to share their story. He told them to get out among the people. Not seclude themselves. Get out in the world. Go fishing with them, go to weddings and parties. Share your story.

Now it is not nearly as hard to witness when I look at it this way. I have a story to tell. We each have a story to tell. Each of our stories are different. We are not going to tell it the same way. As I am out and about in this world, I want to be sensitive to every opportunity to share my story. I never know if I am the one planting the seed, watering the seed, or bringing the seed to fruition. But I am going to keep on "babbling" - depending on Him for what to say just in case I get to do one of these. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment