"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Friday, March 5, 2010

Waiting for a Promised Gift

I am not very good at waiting. When I want something, I want it right then, not later. Now just think how I would do if I were told I was promised to receive a special gift but I would have to wait for just the right time to receive it. My waiting would be even more difficult.

I think of my husband Charlie and how he handles opening Christmas gifts. He appears to most as being a very patient person. But - if you wrap a bunch of presents and put them under a Christmas tree and tell him that he can't open them until everybody is home for Christmas, he is as worrisome as any child about opening them. He can't wait until everybody is home to "have" Christmas. (Not that I can blame him.)

Sometimes we have had to wait a week after Christmas to open gifts. It was really hard but it was so much fun when we did share in the exchanging of gifts with all of our family .

That is what God did. He promised a gift for the disciples after Jesus would not longer be there with them. Acts 1:4 On one occasion, while he (Jesus) was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.

Wait: Don't get ahead of God. They had no idea exactly when they would receive this gift.
Gift: His Holy Spirit. They probably did not have a clue how exciting this was going to be.
Promise: Power.

It was worth their waiting and I am so glad it is a promise of mine as a child of God. It is exciting and powerful!

No comments:

Post a Comment