"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Freedom

What does it mean to be free? Does freedom have any accountability?

When I think of being free, my thoughts first go to the idea of doing what I want to do without having to ask someone else if I can do it. Yet, there is accountability for my actions if it involves someone else because I may be infringing on their freedom. When I think of being free, I also think of the sacrifices that have been made for my freedom. There has been a debt paid by others for me to live this way.

What about being free from sin?

What controls my life, my thoughts, my habits? My actions are generally a result of what I am thinking. It is a constant battle of my mind. I have to be careful of my thoughts because my thoughts may become my actions. My thoughts affect my attitude and moods. They are not always pure.

Romans 6:12 Do not let sin control the way you live, do not give in to sinful desires.

My concern is when those negative thoughts "nest" in my mind and I act on them. I become a slave to those thoughts. That is when I need to change my thinking - recognize it for what it is - sin. It takes faith to go through a difficult situation or temptation. It takes faith to get to the other side. I must not give up!

What is even more scary is that I would not even realize that what I am doing is wrong, that doing wrong becomes my life style and my heart becomes hard and my ears deaf.

So what can I do to break free? Live constantly under the grace of God. Recognize and know my limitations so that I may not be tempted. Focus my thoughts on the positive.

My freedom from sin was paid with a price too.

Romans 6:22-23 But now you are free from the power of sin and have become slaves of God. Now you do those things that lead to holiness and result in eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.

These were my thoughts as I read Romans 6 today.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent message, Pam! It's always good to be reminded that with freedom comes responsibility to choose that which pleases God. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!
    Blessings to you,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! I love your mature look on freedom - even Jesus was free but chose the way of the Cross - TFS!

    ReplyDelete