"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Saturday, February 20, 2010

It's All About Faith

Faith - well, I guess we have all thrown that word around quite a bit. Like - "Come on now, you gotta have faith." What is faith? I would describe faith as trusting, believing in that which you cannot see or understand. What does it mean to trust or believe someone? Not doubting them. Believing in them. Not questioning their actions or if there is some motive to what they say or do. They are who they are. No pretending.

Hebrews 11:1 describes faith this way: "Faith means being sure of the things we hope for and knowing that something is real even if we do not see it." NCV

What is the strength of my faith? If it is Charlie, a family member or a dear friend, then my faith is in man and not in God and I am on shaky ground. I am reminded of Abraham and his faith. He did not question God. He accepted it as it was presented. He heard it. He believed it. How much easier that can make my life when I don't question why things happen or when they are going to happen but have faith in God for the answers knowing that they may not be here and now. Abraham waited a long time to become a father. It was a promise from God. If I had been him, I would have been wondering if it was ever going to happen. But Abraham believed God.

Our faith will influence others when we don't even know it. Standing tall in our faith during trials in our lives will make a difference in someone that we may not know is watching. Charlie had someone tell him once, "I've been watching you." Wow! We just never know. It's not what we say but how we live.

Life is certainly not always easy. There have been times when I know that I have let doubt, condemnation from others, and negative thoughts keep me from being and doing what I knew I was suppose to be doing and wondering if God knew where I was and what was going on with me. It doesn't usually take me long to realize the source of those thoughts and come against it with God's word. It is then that I am reminded to not to give up, keep believing. I pick myself up, dust myself off and keep on keeping on with God.

How about you? Got Faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment